[Wikipedia-l] pitching an idea

Wouter Steenbeek musiqolog at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 18:17:44 UTC 2005

>Wouter Steenbeek (musiqolog at hotmail.com) [050418 03:20]:
>
> > Steve's proposal is interesting and can be defended from a philosophical
> > point of view. Indeed most philosophers involved with science agree that
> > objectivity is an illusion, and the quasi-objectivity we reach in e.g.
> > encyclopaedias is only a broad consensus within one culture.
>

>Except the ones who are actually scientists. "Sorry, evolution has been
>voted out of science."

You didn't get the point! Indeed, scientists are given a big authority, so
people, especially encyclopaedia-makers, use their theories to form their
opinion. So, in our culture, the view of scientists is especially favoured
among encyclopaedia-makers, because they are supposed to have justificated
their views by means of an elaborate dialectic process, not by dogmatic
tradition. On the other hand, for other people the Bible might have a bigger
authority. They form a different image of the world around us than we do,
and than most scientists do.

Wouter