[Wikipedia-l] pitching an idea

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Apr 17 17:37:13 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 07:20:20PM +0200, Wouter Steenbeek wrote:

> Steve's proposal is interesting and can be defended from a philosophical
> point of view. Indeed most philosophers involved with science agree that
> objectivity is an illusion, and the quasi-objectivity we reach in e.g.
> encyclopaedias is only a broad consensus within one culture. On some
> topics, everyone agrees, on other ones, people hold divergent views. That
> justifies splitting a controversial topic.

I fail to see how that applies to what I said, actually.  I was
discussing our NPOV policy, not objectivity.  The NPOV policy is
something we approach by admitting all verifiable opinions as statements
of fact regarding the existence of such opinions.  It is not an attempt
to produce a truly objective view of the universe.  None of us is God,
but we can all aspire to peacefully, and without undue judgmentalism,
incorporate divergent views on whether or not God exists into our
encyclopedia.

--
Chad Perrin
[ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]