[Wikipedia-l] pitching an idea

Till Westermayer till at tillwe.de
Sun Apr 17 15:16:00 UTC 2005

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .

>Steve Lefevre (lefevre.10 at osu.edu) [050417 16:39]:

>> I'm pitching an idea for a postmodern wikipedia. What I mean by
>> that is that there are multiple concurrent versions of an
>> article. Instead of a zero-sum game where only one text can
>> inhabit a title at any time, a user can choose from different
>> branches. The user basis this decision on who the authors are,
>> and how many people agree with the text. The immediate wikipedia
>> problems that this solves are: - Edit wars. This is common with
>> articles covering controversial topics, such as abortion.
>> Proponents of different truths will build and maintain their
>> side of the story, including counter arguments, instead of
>> trying to destroy the other side. There is no negative sign-off,
>> so the only thing the article measures is how many people agree
>> with it, not how many disagree.

>Multiple forks save edit wars, but I'm entirely unconvinced
>they're a good thing for the reader. I think NPOV is Wikipedia's
>really startling and useful innovation, on a par with attempting
>to write an encyclopedia by the wiki process.

Isn't Wikinfo (Infopedia?, what was the name) a Wikipedia fork trying to
do something like, although without the technological base?
 __ .
 / / / /                            ... Till Westermayer - till we *)
. .
  . mailto:till at tillwe.de . www.westermayer.de/till/ . icq 320393072
  . Hirschstraße 5. 79100 Freiburg . 0761 55697152 . 0160 96619179
  . . . . .