[Wikipedia-l] Idea for a new Wikipedia

Wouter Steenbeek musiqolog at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:13:53 UTC 2005

>On 4/15/05, Wouter Steenbeek <musiqolog at hotmail.com> wrote:

 the existance of a Simple
> > English wikipedia justifies a Simple German wikipedia anyway.
>
>That might be the case if the Simple English Wikipedia had been a
>success, but, in my opinion, it has not. The project still has very
>unclear goals, and few guidelines about which level editors should be
>writing at. It is not even clear whether the wiki is meant for
>children or learners of English as an additional language. The
>majority of articles are stubs and there has been little interest in
>extending them. Very little, if any, community has ever formed at the
>site. Suggesting the Simple English wiki be closed seems a better
>option to me than using its existence to justify the creation of other
>projects.
>
>If enough people believe the Simple German one can work, then that
>could be trialed, but the existence of the failing English version
>should not be used as the reason for creating this.
>
>Angela
>Administrator of the Simple English Wikipedia

The fact that the Simple English wikipedia did not succeed so far (I won't
say failed, because that sounds far too definitive to me) is certainly a
reason for serious contemplation en reconsideration of this proposal. On the
other hand, we could learn from what went wrong so far on simple: when
starting einfach:, and build a frim community with clear goals and
arrangements first. And attract enough willing contributors, of course.

Wouter