[Wikipedia-l] Re: Expanding CheckUser permissions

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Apr 13 12:28:08 UTC 2005

Tim Starling wrote:
> shortly before I got shell access, I was nearly driven crazy by
> a user with 9 sock puppets, each claiming to be a separate
> person. Each would demand my attention, make their own arguments
> and even post bogus real names and addresses to "prove" their
> identity. All these identities were active in the same week.
> It's hard to describe how hard this was for me, but suffice to
> say looking up the guy in the apache logs was the first thing I
> did when I got shell access. I resolved at that point to try to
> help anyone who was in a similar situation.

I think it would help if we could separate these "hard cases" from
the everyday spam and edit wars.  I predict that sociology and
psychology (or psychiatry?) is the next thing in wiki studies,
because only now do we have the size of community where these
things happen.  Has anybody compiled a list of the "worst" cases
and how they were dealt with?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)