[Wikipedia-l] Conflict between two Wikipedias

Wouter Steenbeek musiqolog at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:22:28 UTC 2005

This is familiar kind of problem, remember the quite recent controversy with
Serbocrotian on the one, and Serbian, Croatian and Bosniak on the other. I,
as a Western European, could easily dismiss claims on speaking a separate
language as politically inspired nonsense, but in countries like these with
a heavily charged recent past, questions like these are controversial. On
the other hand, this discussion is also current in Moldovia itself, I heard.
I propose that you allow Latin script Moldavian on ro: only, and that you
look for five enthousiasts (including you yourself, of course) for the
Moldovian-only Cyrillic version, not to be allowed on ro:, since virtually
no Romanians can read it. The rest of the procedure must be familiar to you,
I suppose. This leaves only the question of the name: ro-cy or mol-cy. Do
you consider this an appropriate solution?

Wouter