[Wikipedia-l] Expanding CheckUser permissions

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:06:21 UTC 2005

James D. Forrester wrote:

>Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>We are looking for a negative colleration. The person has a bad
>>reputation. Before he adopted a user profile he was known for
>>doing his thing with any number of IP numbers. When he was blocked
>>he was almost instantly back on another IP-number.
>>

>Who blocked him? Why? Based on what? Was this an official decision made by
>one person, a small group of people, all sysops together, the entire
>community? If either of the first two, you evidently have natural candidates
>to form an official blocking group, of whom one might be appropriate to
>grant access to such an easily-abused tool, no? What, exactly, is the
>problem, then?
>
>Yours,

The decision to block and maintain this long block was done by an
official vote on the nl:wikipedia. There are two sides to the argument.

*There are some that want to unblock this person. This is possible when
the indication that this person and the user that is also a troll are
not the same.
*Second, this is something that is outside the English language
projects, it is a big project, many moderators that requests the use of
this analysis. Why can a project as big as the nl:wikipedia not be
trusted to request for the execution of this. Why should a substantial
group of moderators be denied this ??

The way the nl:wikipedia is ruled is subtly different from the other
projects. The nl:wikipedia has proven that it does do a proper job of
having a healthy atmosphere. Given the small size of the world
population speaking Dutch, we do a great job. Why should this tool not
be used in this instance when the object is to allow a person that many
are disgusted with to be deblocked sooner because his claim is true that
he is not this other troll as well ?? If anything it is in the intrest
of this person. If you do not understand this, please deny this
reasonable request. If you do understand this, you realise that this a
situation where it is in the intrest of the person involved that he is
likely NOT to be the same person.

This is similar to people in jail who claim to be innocent and are
denied a DNA test. You read that this happens a lot in the US justice
system.

Thanks,
    GerardM