[Wikipedia-l] Expanding CheckUser permissions

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Apr 12 12:21:18 UTC 2005

Angela (beesley at gmail.com) [050412 13:43]:

> Currently the only people with the necessary permissions to use
> CheckUser are Tim Starling (who wrote the code for this) and David
> Gerard (who uses it on behalf of the English Wikipedia Arbitration
> Committee).

I should also point out that I *barely* use it - its availability to the Ac
directly is somewhat controversial, but I've some experience of net-abuse
tracing and know what the results mean or don't, and I only use it when
there's clearly some important issue. (Last use was to check on an apparent
sock of Rienzo. Use before that was to check the zillion abusive socks in
the Baku Ibne arb com case.) I get a lot of people asking me to check
something casually and I have to say "no". Although if people on en: think
it's relevant to an arb com case, the "Requests for clarification" section
on WP:RFAr is the right place to suggest. The edit evidence had better be
there, though, I'm not going on fishing expeditions.

- d.