[Wikipedia-l] Walking like an Egyptian?

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Sun Apr 10 12:55:08 UTC 2005

Does the article "Walking like an Egyptian"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_like_an_Egyptian) actually have a
point?  Does anyone seriously believe that ancient Egyptians may have
walked in a particularly odd fashion (as the article seems to imply).  I
was considering editing it but the whole thing seems a bit pointless.  As
a Wikipedia newbie I'm not sure how to mark an article as a candidate for
deletion (if indeed I can) and wanted to see what others thought of this
article.

As an aside I was in Cairo some years ago and was having particular
trouble getting across one of the roads near Tahir Square one day.  A kind
Egyptian gentleman approached my travelling companion and I and offered to
help us across.  The exchange (in English) went something like this:

Him: "To get across this road you must walk like an Egyptian".

I was immediately reminded of Pat Benatar and wondered where he was going
with this.

Me: "How do you mean?"

Him: "Close your eyes, step out and pray to Allah."

As soon as he said this we stepped out on to the road.  As you can see I
survived in order to be able to contribute to Wikipedia :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.