[Wikipedia-l] Re: Request for separate English Wikipedias

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 2 07:00:00 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I would like to request the creation of en-us-jwales: and en-us-node:
>for the two separate varieties of American English known as "Jimbwian"
>and "Nodelish".
>
>Although they are very similar, there are some important differences.
>
>Some examples:
>
>Jimbwian: "My name is Jimbo Wales."
>Nodelish: "My name is not Jimbo Wales."
>
>Jimbwian: "I am the founder of Wikipedia."
>Nodelish: "I am not the founder of Wikipedia."
>
>Jimbwian: "I am married and have a daughter."
>Nodelish: "I am a single teenager."
>
>Unfortunately there is no 1-to-1 correspondence between Jimbwian and
>Nodelish, so machine translation is impossible.

While the request for Nodelish sounds plausible, I think the request for
Jimbwian has to be rejected because of the expectation that new requests
be supported by at least five potential contributors. According to the
way you've defined it above, there aren't five people in the world
capable of speaking Jimbwian properly. On the other hand, I'm sure we
have any number of Wikipedians capable of speaking Nodelish, although I
am not one of them.

--Michael Snow