[Wikipedia-l] Re: Nauruan Wikipedia

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Wed Sep 29 10:06:46 UTC 2004

Well spotted.

Whatever that language is, it looks vaguely Iberian.  Xerox's language
guesser program seems to think that it's Catalan, although that program does
have a fairly limited range (and Catalan has diacratical marks, which this
mystery language does not).  I've tried plugging a few of those words into
Google in an effort to come up with an explanation as to what it is, and
I've had no luck - most of the words are culled from various Romance
languages, or English.

There seems to be only one person active on this Wiki anyway, who goes by
the name "Belgian Man".  Based on the similarity of "nauruose" to "nauri", I
suspect this isn't a simple case of mistaken identity - whoever has written
these articles has probably done it with the intent to deceive (although why
you'd actually attempt to masquerade your language as nauri is beyond me).

Regards,
- Craig Franklin

Craig Franklin
PO Box 764