[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Hyperlink convention

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 19:46:37 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 09:35 +0530, shantanu oak wrote:

> > But I completely fail to understand why certain words are hyperlinked.
> > For e.g. in the following para why does the date January 27 is linked?
> > I clicked on that date and could not find anything related to the
> > current page i.e. MandrakeSoft.

Two reasons that dates are linked are:
1) so you can use "what links here" from the date pages to find
everything that happened on that date
2) so that the date is shown in your preferred format. This can be set
in your preferences and allows you see [[3 August]] as [[August 3]]
which prevents people edit warring over date formats. This preference
isn't available on all Wikipedias, so the rule might be something
specific to en.

Angela.