[Wikipedia-l] Re: wikipedia in China

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Sep 24 02:31:00 UTC 2004

Christopher-
> I think she means that if we are respectful of other
> people' sensitivities, then a greater good will come out in the end.

The censorship of content about the Chinese government's actions is not in
the interest of the many, it is in the interest of the ruling elite. Whose
"sensitivities" are really at stake here?

I was as concerned about proceeding with caution when they initially
censored us as everyone else. When a really big bully pushes you, you may
try to reason with him first. Perhaps you can bribe him, or you can hope
that he will pick on the other kids and leave you alone.

But that's what all the other kids do, and that's why the bully has his
power in the first place. And if you grant him that power, then he will
use it and still abuse you. If at that point you are worried about the
bully's "sensitivities", you are already a slave at heart.

Sometimes you have to push back.

Even if it hurts. And compared to what happened in 1989, the temporary
loss of botanic knowledge is hardly a tragedy.

The way to defeat the bullies of the world is to expose them for what they
are, and to realize that we are the many and they are the few. Then we can
fight them.

Let them censor us instead of being their fig leaf. What a great way for
them to prove the point that they're not interested even in neutral
content, only in propaganda. Then let's use our collective intelligence to
dig a way through the Great Firewall.