[Wikipedia-l] BBC planning to open source its archives

Brion Vibber brion at ikso.net
Fri Sep 17 21:47:25 UTC 2004

On Sep 17, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> I read this story on Newsforge, the imminence of this (expected THIS
> fall) makes it really something. The material is of such a quality,
> the breath of their data, the pictures alone, this is really big news
> ! As the article says, openining up this content to the public, will
> make the British culture much more important.
>
> The license they will use will be the Creative Commons license.

Which of the several Creative Commons licenses will be used? Many of
them are very restrictive (eg noncommercial-noderivs). One thing I've
found very unfortunate about the Creative Commons project is that their
overarching name gets bandied about in public as though it referred to
a particular license -- the opposite of what they intend, which is to
be able to label things distinctly with human- and machine-readable
license information.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)