[Wikipedia-l] (no subject)

Andre Engels andrewiki at freemail.nl
Fri Sep 17 10:45:36 UTC 2004

> I think that if there are people who speak the language, even if in a
> merely academic context, a Wikipedia is worthwhile. What about the
> Latin Wikipedia?

It depends on what you call 'speak the language'. I want to be sure that
there are people who _use_ the language, that is, communicate in it. For
example, if there is a journal that comes out once a year, where articles
are written in Gothic.

But in this case I have the feeling that 'speak the language' means that
they _know_ the language, and the only use of the language is to read
centuries old texts that were written in Gothic or as an object of study
itself. And then I don't think a Wikipedia is worthwhile.

Regarding Latin: It's still being used on a daily basis in the Roman
Catholic church, for one thing.

Andre Engels