[Wikipedia-l] Re: mail WikiSpecies

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:14:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:40:25 +0200, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do not think it is a legal requirement that board meetings are help
> publicly. And I do not think it would be a good idea that we are
> required to discuss publicly only. As for the meeting in question, I for
> one, did not keep a copy of the log, and if some one did, I request to
> review it before it is possibly made public.

I was under the impression the board would be responsible for macro
issues that were incapable of being done by the "community", such as
the legal, monetary and logistical needs of the Foundation.  And that
anything that could still be initiated and decided on by the community
would be done in wiki space by Wikipedians. If this is an incorrect
interpretation, then an explanation would be appreciated.

So my response to your point would be either:
1) The decision should not be done by the board, but by Wikipedians
with the usual due process of proposal, discussion, yet more
discussion, too much discussion, then voting.
or
2) The decision be made by the board but be open and solicit opinions
from the community, with the proceedings made public.

Clearly, the way you suggest (by the board, but closed) is very much
against the open spirit the Wikipedia community is used to. To be
clear, I'm largely in favor of the Wikispecies proposal, and don't
think the board acted in bad faith. But we should also take this
opportunity to make sure that we set the right precedent for future
decisions.

--
Andrew (User:Fuzheado)