[Wikipedia-l] Re: One Chinese Wikipedia

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 05:03:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:31:11 -0700, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:

> There would be two separate subdomains, http://zh-tw.wikipedia.org/
> and http://zh-cn.wikipedia.org/. If you visit the first, you will see
> the UI in Traditional, and if you visit the latter the UI will be in
> Simplified.

I think you'll have widespread agreement this would be a good idea.
Not sure if the localization support in MediaWiki supports this
configuration right now, but perhaps the developers could make it
happen. (In fact, it could support the complete matrix of browsing
Wikipedia of language X using the interface of language Y.)

> I propose to store all text in Traditional but convert it to
> Simplified (perhaps with some sort of caching so articles do not have
> to be re-generated each time) because TC>SC conversion is less
> ambiguous than SC>TC conversion.

This is a tougher proposition, since most of the content and
contributors use the Simplified form. However, I'd encourge you to
broach these subjects at the wikizh-l at wikimedia.org mailing list as
well, or at least Cc: them on this.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)