[Wikipedia-l] Re: One Chinese Wikipedia

Vina Wang vwang at myrealbox.com
Sat Sep 11 21:34:59 UTC 2004

I think we also need to make a distinction between two different "two versions" depends on what is split.

There can be two versions of the UI, or two versions of the article content, or two versions of both, which is what the original split was.

Two versions of the UI/Skin is what someone is working on the software for (sorry I deleted the email already so I don't remember who it was).  This is for the ease of the readers more for the editors.  Editors are familiar with the layout, and can generally make out what the page is, even on completely unknown languages.  It is also the most important part to a completely new person to wiki, to showcase what wiki is about.

I haven't heard anyone who actually objects to this.

There can also be two versions of the content like the current Chinese wiki.  You really won't know which charset something is in until  you read it.

For people who are exclusively SC or TC users, the mixed version can be mildly annoying to completely revolting.  Each person has different tolerance level.  I can read TC, but can't edit in TC, since I don't know how to get my computer to take Pinyin and output TC.  A person who is well versed in both to the degree to edit articles in both is extremely rare.

This is a constant debate on Chinese wiki, and the most recent decision is to reduce duplicate articles in Chinese wiki where the tranditional and simplified version differs in charset only.  Pages that does not already have two versions does not get one created.  Instead, both charset goes on one page.  For Chinese wiki, this is a possible though imperfect solution since the two versions came from the same language source.

This is for the convience of the editors to not having to type in the same thing twice, also for the readers to get the most complete information currently available on wiki.  It is voted in by the editors, as only the editors vote, like any other voting pages on wiki.

Hence the ch-tw split which is a split for both, UI and articles.  What is being opposed by a lot of people is the complete split for articles.  It's a headache for editors but also a dis-service to a lot of readers.  Most Chinese readers would rather get a non-preferred version of TC or SC article, rather than not getting anything at all.  Interwiki links between the versions only work if there is a corresponding article.  Redirects does not bring you to the other wiki, but can be used to redirect between TC/SC on the same wiki.

-Vina