[Wikipedia-l] Re: One Chinese Wikipedia

yuanml yuanml at pku.org.cn
Sat Sep 11 09:08:49 UTC 2004

To Mark Williamson:

> By the way, since when am I trying to compare en/jp and tc/sc? I was
> merely responding to something somebody else said about SC and TC
> users "living in the same universe" or something.

I don't think I lose my point.

tc/sc users enjoy the same concept structure of the universe,
but en/jp, en/tc or en/sc are not same.
For example planet Venus in English is a term related to a goddess,
but in both sc/tc planet Venus is related to the same things - gold
and star. In one word, tc/sc is the same language.
This is my point.

The tc/sc users not only enjoy the same grammar of language,
but also most part of their knowledge systems.
Let us not talk about Chinese native knowledge,
such as Chinese history, Foreklore, but let us talk about mordern science.
Terminologies of mordern science are introduced to China
since Ming Dynasty hundreds of years ago, and increased vastly after 1900.
The Chinese knowledge system evolve into their morder form
just after the New Culture Movment around 1920.
But the split of tc/sc is about at 1956,
then the tc/sc enjoy the same backgroud of their knowledge systems.
>From 1949 to 1980s tc/sc evolved independently for lack of communication,
then some new terminologies are different, such as in computer science.
But after 1980s, the communication between tc/sc increased comparatively.