[Wikipedia-l] One Chinese Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Sep 9 15:46:34 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>I personally support the notion of One Chinese Wikipedia.  I think it
>makes the most sense from a language point of view, and additionally,
>I think it makes the most sense from the point of view of having a top
>quality NPOV resource.

But is it going to be possible from a language point of view?  People
have talked about automatic conversion, but several others have pointed
out multiple academic studies on the subject, some from the Unicode
committees, that have concluded it's nearly impossible to do automated
conversion from one to the other (without fully solving AI anyway), as
it's not a one-to-one mapping.  The only reasonable thing I've heard
proposed is doing a partial automatic conversion, and flagging the
characters that can't be automatically converted for human intervention,
but this doesn't sound like something that's going to be implemented in
the forseeable future.

-Mark