[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Hyperlink convention

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Oct 18 19:15:36 UTC 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_in_Germany#Reparations

I just wanted to point out that this example, which I think was
universally agreed to be A Very Bad Thing(tm), still says "a plan was
formulated by which Germany was to pay 226 milliard gold marks in
forty-two fixed annuities".

To my knowledge, virtually no speaker of English will have the
slightest idea of what this might mean.  First, "milliard" which is
apparently in declining use everywhere.  Second "gold marks".  A "gold
mark" is worth approximately what?  I have no clue.

--Jimbo