[Wikipedia-l] Re: Image tarball

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 20:21:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:15:59 +0200, andyr at wizzy.com <andyr at wizzy.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Tim Starling wrote:
>
> > I've added the image tarball generation to the backup script, so new
> > tarballs will be generated every week from now on.
>
> 14Gig - Owww.
>
> In a few short months it has grown from 3Gig.

I assume the cause of that is the new image syntax: It used to be that
if you had a large image, you'd make it smaller (which also decreased
its file size). Now it is put on the site in large version, and then
made smaller to the user with the '000px' markup. Which means that
there are much more large (sometimes huge) image files.
Andre Engels