[Wikipedia-l] Re: Image tarball

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Tue Oct 12 18:55:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Tim Starling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is just a one-off thing at the moment, I haven't set up scripts to
> do it on a regular basis. So if I forget, please remind me. I've made a
> tarball of all the images from the English Wikipedia. See the bottom of:
>
> http://download.wikimedia.org/
>
> I had a quick discussion on IRC about the wording of the legal
> statement, it seems we can't really be sure that it's legal to do
> anything at all with them. It's an unsatisfactory situation, in my
> opinion, but there you have it. So the disclaimer says "use at your own
> risk".

Folks,

  Just to keep you up to date, we have had great success with wikipedia
installations in schools in South Africa.

  I use these images for the install. I have downloaded more recent
database snapshots to match with it, but for the most part if they
cannot make a difference by reposting changes (which they cannot,
as it is quite isolated in bandwidth-space) I just put a June snapshot
(same date as the pictures) on.

I am excited by the potential of carrying snapshots and image diffs,
probably selected by tar using the file dates. We (Wizzy Digital Courier)
can carry these by UUCP - using dialup connections or physical carrying
on a USB memory stick.

I split them up into 6 CDs, but found that one whole CD was the thumb/
directory , so you can skip that :-)

I would also love to preserve the 'newsy' feel of the front page. I
had a suggestion fron Sj that I grab the front page conventionally and
patch the URLs to point to a local wikipedia installation.

If you could put up a tarball of the whole archive again I can rsync
it this way. Or - put up an rsync server ?

That would also handle deletion of orphaned images.

Cheers,  Andy!

http://wizzy.org.za/  (not been updated in a while)

http://www.slug.org.za/ (Shuttleworth Foundation project putting Open Source into schools)