[Wikipedia-l] Distributing fonts

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:22:53 UTC 2004

I think everyone agrees we should have a page of "this site best
viewed with the following tools/software: " followed by a list of
fonts, browsers, media players.
Then we could link to a page of Known Issues with other tools, so interested
readers could decide how important it is to install something new.

We should start with this page, before deciding on the minor issue of whether
to host the files ourselves...

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:47:19 -0700, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> A lot of GPL software is hosted on nerdy websites that would simply
> frighten inexperienced users.  When that's the case, it would be nice
> if we used our public communication skills to help out.

This is very true.  If we can link directly to another site's download
page, or to a
specific file, from our list -- and if that site is fast enough to be
pleasant to download from -- let's do that.  If not, we might mirror
the download ourselves.

--
+sj+