[Wikipedia-l] Re: clusty

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 06:08:50 UTC 2004

Andrew Lih wrote:

>The original article from SJ Mercury News about Clusty/WP isn't very good:
>"Clusty is also one of the first search sites to index and display
>results from the sometimes controversial Wikipedia, the online
>encyclopedia being compiled from contributions by Internet users. Some
>researchers do not view Wikipedia as an authoritative source of
>information because it is created by Web users."
>
>They should have said Clusty features Wikipedia in its own tab very
>prominently, and it even returns pictures from WP in the search
>results. Example:
>http://clusty.com/search?query=octopus+card&v%3Aproject=clusty-encyclopedia

I was wondering how they reached that rather bizarre piece of
misinformation. Considering that Dan Gillmor works for the Mercury News
and has written about Wikipedia frequently (always positively) and knows
it well, it's quite surprising to see them botch facts like that, even
if they choose a less glowing tone. However, Gillmor didn't write this
particular story, and I suppose the original reporter may have been the
victim of an editor who doesn't actually know anything about search
engines, but decided the explanation was too complex for the audience.

Anyway, it has to be gratifying when the latest innovations in the
search wars try to use Wikipedia in their press releases as an example
of how great they are.

--Michael Snow