[Wikipedia-l] Re: On press releases and boasting

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Oct 3 04:03:53 UTC 2004

Michael Snow wrote:
> On this one, I agree with Elian. I doubt that a press release of this
> nature would have much impact because we haven't done anything worth
> mentioning

I agree with Elian too.  I've been using these results in a low-key
way when I talk to the press, but usually I down play it.  When the
question of quality comes up, I prefer to stress that we know we
aren't perfect, and that we have a long way to go, but that we are
proud of what we have already accomplished.

The idea is that we should continue to portray ourselves as "a project
to create..." rather than as a finished product.  Because, frankly, we
do have a long way to go in many ways.

Putting out a press release crowing about this test just invites more
hostile reviews to conduct the same type of test, but with an eye
toward showing how broken we are in many ways.

--Jimbo