[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia spanks Encarta, Brockhaus

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sat Oct 2 09:04:00 UTC 2004

Sj-
> Brockhaus "must concede defeat" to Wikipedia

This is great and should help to combat some of the FUD about Wikipedia
and wikis in general. Now imagine the result when we have a solid
community-based peer review mechanism for every article, where every page
is evaluated in different categories - accuracy, copyright status,
comprehensiveness, images, neutrality, and so on - and where we can make a
guarantee that it has passed all these criteria, and that every factual
claim in the article has a source. Then newspapers, magazines, academics
and anyone else can cite a specific certified version of a Wikipedia
article and be sure that it's 1) accurate, 2) not a redirect to goatse.cx.

Let's not get cocky and keep that goal in mind. The road to credibility is
long and requires constant innovation. The next review might very well
include an article on [[Wikipedia:Cleanup]] or in [[Category:NPOV
disputes]]. Unless we can then say, "this is the unstable version - check
the stable one, which already has 10,000 articles", we're on the defensive
again.

Regards,

Erik