[Wikipedia-l] Problem in the Yiddish Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:15:48 UTC 2004

There are a number of differences here.

At the time that was written, fr.wikipedia was young, while it is not anymore.

Second of all, it is the sort of article which all languages should
have, and is timeless. It is more notable than Britney Spears, Yiddish
folk-heroes, and arguably more notable than "America", although that
one is debatable (Apples can be found in plenty of geographical
regions; America can only be found in the Western Hemisphere).

Third of all, it is a complete sentence. It is not simply "un fruit",
nor does it say "pommes sont un type de [[fruit]]" with [[Fruit]]
saying exclusively "Types de fruit: [[pomme]]s". (excuse my poor
French), nor does it say "Une pomme n'est pas une [[poire]]" with
[[Poire]] saying "Une poire n'est pas une [[pomme]]"

If the Britney Spears article said "בריִטניִ ספּיִרס יז אַ
[[פּאָפּולערע זיגערין|פּאָפּולערע זיגער]]" ("Britney Spears is a
[[popular singer]]") with an actual article of at least stub quality
at the "Popular Singer" page, it could reasonably be considered a
substub, but even if there was no article at "Popular Singer" I
probably wouldn'tve touched it, had it been an actual sentence.

The same thing goes for the America article. There was and is no text
at the article for continent, so a two-word article on America which
isn't even a full sentence cannot reasonably be considered a substub.

Mark