[Wikipedia-l] Re: Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Nov 29 16:00:16 UTC 2004

Mark Williamson wrote:

>It may seem to you that en.wikipedia is totally devoid of this sort of
>systemic bias, but in fact no Wikipedia is.

This was not my argument---my argument was that systematic bias can be
minimized on Wikipedias which are in languages for which a diverse body
of speakers exists, but is unlikely to be minimized on Wikipedias in a
language spoken by only a small and homogenous group of people.  It may
not be eliminated on any, but it will be much less severe in languages
with more diverse speaker populations.

The current en Wikipedia does not have solely contributors from
English-speaking countries either---there are a large number of
English-as-a-second-language contributors who contribute valuable
information and viewpoints.  Our Beijing article has contributors from
Beijing; our Gdansk article has contributors from Gdansk; and so on.
This is very unlikely to happen in languages which are rarely learned as
second languages.

-Mark