[Wikipedia-l] Wikipédia new language : Algerian

medifel at altern.org medifel at altern.org
Sat Nov 27 19:16:33 UTC 2004

Algerian language, badly named "Arabic", Algerian Spoken, is the language
of more than 20 millions persons. It's a mix of lot of languages like
arabic, turkish, french, spanish, berber etc.
It's not exactly arabic, because gramatically it's totaly different.
Speakers of Algerian who don't know what we call "classical" arabic, don't
understood arabic.
Algerian language is the common language of every body in Algeria, but
since independance (1962), the Pan-arabism vision denied totaly the
existance of a specific algerian language, as it denied the existance
berber languages.
Algerian language was almost not written at all (no newspaper, no book)
but with the Internet we discovered that we coul wrote our own language
(using latin alphabet with some specific caracters for special sounds).
So we want to create an algerian Wikipedia to to persuade people that we
can use our language as a normal one.

N.B. : In Algeria before 1962, French was the only language used, since
indépendance, Arab was reintroduced with force to make forget french
colonisation. But the leaders forgot that what speak the natives it was
not Arabic.
That's why today we say that the algerian school produce "trilingual
illiterates", because we learn evey thing in arabic, but it's not our
mother tongue. We learn French as first forein language, but not enought
to use it well. And finally we never learn our mother tongue Algerian.

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ARQ