[Wikipedia-l] Re: Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 00:54:01 UTC 2004

Tim Starling wrote:
> Does it have to be discussed here case-by-case? We've made no progress
> whatsoever towards useful principles, and there's been no consensus on
> anything. The Board has been silent on this despite repeated requests
> for a decision.

The Board has not been silent on the issue on new language wikis. In
the Friulian thread on this mailing list at the end of last month,
three members of the board were supportive of adopting Wikitravel's
policy. I've now put the points from one of those emails at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages
so people can discuss the issue on the wiki and form an actual policy
rather than going round in circles on this mailing list.

If there are any disagreements to that policy, perhaps the
requirements could be lessened, such as to 2 or 3 participants, who
must be able to read and write the language, but please discuss that
on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages

I personally don't think any more conlangs should be adopted at all,
but perhaps that issue is for a different policy, and is my personal
view, not necessarily that of the board.

Angela.