[Wikipedia-l] Re: Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 24 18:18:34 UTC 2004

Mark Williamson wrote:

>I agree, however apparently there is some reason (which I do not yet
>fully comprehend) that we must be very careful with Wikipedias in
>different languages.

One point that you seemingly fail to comprehend is that by advocating
for all and sundry minor languages you become a part of the problem.
Analogously we can't have a meaningful SETI project until we can filter
out the radio noise from earth.

>If you create one, I will be happy to add it to
>http://www.bloglines.com/public/inactivewikipedias until it has
>perhaps 100 articles which should prevent "squatting" (and I don't see
>why squatting is such a huge concern anyways, it's still a very rare
>occurance and should probably be treated as pure vandalism unless it's
>actually in a real language).

The problem with squatting has its roots in the fact that most of us
don't understand these languages, and don't monitor events there.  If
there is any silliness going on we have no way of knowing.  It makes
sense to put these languages into cryogenic support if it has been
inactive for an extended period of time.

>So apparently every single language or dialect has to go before the
>board and waste their time...

I think that there is very little support for that position.

Ec