[Wikipedia-l] Re: Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 11:55:13 UTC 2004

Tim Starling wrote:
> Mark Williamson wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Andre Engels has recently locked the sh.wikipedia database at the
> >recommendation of Tim Starling, on the grounds that it is "supposed to
> >be dead".
>
> I only commented on procedure and policy, not on the fact of the matter

> itself. Assessment of the facts was performed by others. As I said
> previously, I'm sick of the continuous discussion of linguistics on
> wikipedia-l and I wish it could be taken offlist. I've never made any
> judgement on the status of Serbo-Croatian and I don't intend to start now.

How about a separate mailinglist for 'small language wikipedia's' and
'new wikipedia-related projects'?

regards,
Gerrit.

Sorry Gerrit, but I strongly disagree.

I understand very well that some people might get annoyed with constant discussions about minority languages, but frankly, isolating small languages would be a very bad idea.

2 years and a half ago, I fought so that wikipedia-l stopped being the english wikipedia mailing list only and become a global mailing list. I fought so that all wikipedias could be on the same foot of equality and that decisions could be discussed together. I wish that we do not go backward and isolate minor projects and minor languages. It is very important that we discuss these topics globally. Minorities also are welcome on wikipedia and they need attention. Not the darkness of an intl-l list again. We do not need more lists. The issue of whether we want wikipedia to become only a list of 20 major languages, or if we want wikipedia to be also a resource in many minor languages, and in that case what we should do for all languages which are currently non active, is a global issue. It needs to be here.