[Wikipedia-l] interesting 3rd party usage of Wikipedia

Aaron E. Klemm lists at axiomos.com
Fri Nov 19 08:46:56 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am writing an article about the usefulness of Wikipedia outside of
it's purpose as a reference and knowledge resource.

It would be very helpful to know more about the most interesting uses
people have seen of 3rd parties using Wikipedia content. What projects
are innovating with either the Wikipedia dumps or by accessing the
content directly? Primarily I'm looking for projects who sort of extend
the usefulness and the philosophy of--and perhaps contribute back
to--Wikipedia since I've already see many of those that simply try to
capitalize on it (with the ad content, which still is interesting, if
less than scrupulous).

Is there an official collection of 3rd party activity? Does Wikimedia
track/advertise 3rd parties that use the software--this is a secondary
interest for me.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

--
Aaron E. Klemm <lists at axiomos.com>