[Wikipedia-l] Baseldytsch Wikipedia: Who can put it online?

Till Westermayer till at tillwe.de
Thu Nov 18 10:29:00 UTC 2004

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .

Hi Andreas,

>As long as Wikipedia aims to build an encyclopedia that wants to
>provide the world with free knowledge, the German WP serves this
>aim perfectly for all swiss-german/Alemanic dialects.

>If WP helps to preserve local and regional dialects and language
>culture, a Baseldytsch WP should be set up. But also a Wikipedia
>for Berne-dialect, Zurich-dialect, Grisons-dialect,
>St.-Gallen-dialect and every other swiss-german dialect.

What I proposed was intended as a middle way: don't divert efforts into
every single dialect, but group them, so that there is a critical mass.
I live in Freiburg/Germany, so I'm a bit familiar with Swiss-German
dialects as well as high German and Alemanic dialects (even if I speak
only high German). I'm sure German WP won't allow for dialectial
variants (but for Switzerland's high German variants). On the other
hand, I'm not convicted that all the Alemanic dialects are similiar
enough to put them into one WP, at least my impression of Swiss German
is quite different from Freiburg area Alemanic, Alsatian or Swabian. So
my proposal to group all the Swiss German dialects into one WP.

 __ .
 / / / /                            ... Till Westermayer - till we *)
. .
  . mailto:till at tillwe.de . www.westermayer.de/till/ . icq 320393072
  . Hirschstraße 5. 79100 Freiburg . 0761 55697152 . 0160 96619179
  . . . . .