[Wikipedia-l] Re: no:/nb:/nn:/etc. - modified suggestion

Lars Alvik lars at slappfisk.net
Wed Nov 17 00:29:58 UTC 2004

På 16. nov. 2004 kl. 22.51 skrev Olve Utne:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:17:35 +0200, Andy Rabagliati wrote:
>> Amongst some truly great discussion, we should remember pt:, and ask
>> again if all the nn: and nb: folks could swallow their differences
>> and skim through the other dialect as if it were their own. We have
>> been told that they all understand both.
>
> Dear Andy Rablagliati:
>
> Norwegians also understand English, Swedish and Danish. Swedes mostly
> understand Norwegian and English, and, to varying degrees, Danish.
> Danes mostly understand Norwegian Bokmål and English, and, to varying
> degrees, Swedish. Most Dutch and many Belgians understand English.
> Bokmål and Nynorsk are not dialects, they are written languages --
> each with a solid tradition. Should we then close down all but one of
> the four Scandinavian Wikipedias, as well as the Dutch one? And how
> about the Afrikaans one? (English, Dutch) Or the Alemannish one?
> (German, French) Or the Panjabi one? (Hindi, Urdu)  How about the
> Spanish/Asturian/Galego/Portuguese situation? If you know either
> Spanish or Portuguese and you know a bit of language history, it is
> reasonably easy to read all of them! But that doesn't make it any more
> or less "justified" for them to have a feeling of what is their
> language identity!
>
> As for Alemannish, I have no serious problem reading it with my
> background in knowing German, Yiddish and some Dutch. But I will not
> ask for it to be closed down, and I do not think would be appropriate
> in any way for me as an outsider to tell them to quit their project
> and work only within the German or French wikipedias instead!
>
>> Balkanisation has irretrievable consequences. We are in the
>> information business, and the information comes first.
>
> Information indeed comes first.
>
> In this case, we are talking about two literary languages, each with a
> solid tradition going back about a hundred years as a separate
> language for Bokmål (defined as the time of the first major
> orthographic reform away from Danish) and 150 years for Nynorsk
> (defined by the publishing of Ivar Aasen's dictionary and grammar of
> "Det norske Folkesprog". Both Bokmål and Nynorsk have their own,
> extensive literature -- with authors like Olav Duun, Tarjei Vesaas,
> Aslaug Moren Vesaas, Arne Garborg, Kjartan Fløgstad, Olav H. Hauge and
> many others in Nynorsk; and André Bjerke, Knut Hamsun, Johan
> Falkberget, Johan Bojer, Anne-Cath. Vestly, and many others in Bokmål.
> Both Bokmål (< Riksmål < Rigsmaal < Danish) and Nynorsk (< Landsmål <
> Landsmaal < "Det norske Folkesprog") have had separate, clear
> identities continually since the mid-1800s.
>
> Both Bokmål and Nynorsk each have status as official languages in
> Norway.
>
> The morphology and orthography of Bokmål and Nynorsk differ to a much
> higher degree than is the case of UK vs. US English or the Portuguese
> of Portugal vs. Brazil.
>
> It has also been made clear a few times already in this discussion
> [...]

Never the less, it's these users that should decide the fate of no:,
perhaps a vote for these suggestions:
1. My (profoss) suggestion (identical to Utnes except no: stays on no:
and becomes de jure (compared to todays de facto) bokmålwiki.
2. Utnes suggestion (no: moves lock, stock to nb: and no: is kept
(forever!) as a redirect to nb:
3. Status quo.

The redirect serverside ensures that we don't have to mess with manual
redirects and supervise an otherwised closed wiki, perhaps give a
special status to nn: interwikilinks, print "Denne artikkelen finnes
også på nynorsk (articlename on nynorsk) on the top or some other
solution. The permanent no: redirection is to ensure that the
dominating language in norway can still use no: without hassel,
disambigulationpages only serve to confuse. Someone that clicks on no:
expects to end up with bokmål, it's after all the perfered written
language for around 90% of the population.

As much as i respect nynorsk (it's not my language, but some of my
fellow countrymen use it)

It's nessicary that the debate is dropped dead after that, really dead.

mvh. Lars Alvik