[IMC-Tech] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Wikinews demo launches!

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Nov 15 16:55:29 UTC 2004

Jama Poulsen wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 07:05:46PM -0800, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:
>
>>http://demo.wikinews.org/
>>
>>After the successful wikinews vote
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Vote
>>
>>the board has discussed and decided to move forward with this project!
>>This will also give people more of a chance to discuss the proposed
>>policies before the site goes live.
>

> Has anyone been thinking about how Wikinews could cooperate with the
> Independent Media Center (IMC) project (http://www.indymedia.org)?

> In short, it seems to me that if these two projects could join forces,
> the end result would be more than just Wikinews and IMC separately.

I'm skeptical about this idea. What is the political orientation of
Wikinews? Indymedia exists as an alternative media space for the
political left (broadly defined). Is Wikinews apolitical, left-leaning,
or friendly towards neo-fascists? I've been told that Wikipedia is run
by right wing libertarians, so hwo do we know that the volunteer work
put into a joint project won't be exploited by venture capitalists when
they try to turn Wikipedia into an IPO?

I'm opposed to this partnership until it can be determined how Indymedia
would benefit from any partnership with a newly launched project.

Chuck Munson
Infoshop News