[Wikipedia-l] Re: Fwd: Banned from editing except on en

Henry H. Tan-Tenn share2002nov at lomaji.com
Mon Nov 15 23:41:42 UTC 2004

Hi, Jimbo,

You are quite right that the inactive Wikipedias are not being cared
for, except by some dedicated Wikipedian admins from the outside.  So if
indeed someone has been a troublemaker (i.e. editing in bad faith) on
those inactive WPs, he or she should be judged accordingly, and I think
you and others have the trust of the larger community to make such a
decision.  But again, I am not comfortable with the idea of a global ban
(except en:).  I think each of the active WPs should consider the record
in the context of actual edits performed in each edition.  That is,
assume he or she is on a "white list" for all WPs, and only ban him/her
_locally_ for violating specific community policies (which could well
differ).  It could mean that a persistent editor would need to be banned
by and from all WPs, one by one, but so be it.  (It maybe enough, IMO,
that all the WPs be notified that so-and-so is believed to have edited
in bad faith on one or more WP, and leave it at that.)

It was along this line that I proposed to remove Mark from a wide "black
list" as regards zh-min-nan (to be confirmed or rejected by other
editors there, of course).  In that sense I was "vouching" for Mark, and
only in that sense (given my limited attempt to follow the discussion).

Anyway, I hope things work out for all.

~~~~

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales ti 2004/11/15 EP 04:44 sia-kong: