[Wikipedia-l] Wikinews demo launches!

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Nov 15 16:54:18 UTC 2004

Gerrit wrote:
> If so, will the content of demo: be copied to en:, or will it start
> over? Is the demo: multi-lingual or English language?

It will be moved to en.

Just to be clear, this vote means that wikinews is an official
wikimedia project.  I'm fully committed to seeing it through.  The
reason for having it at 'demo' for now is to make it clear to everyone
that policies aren't settled, and that we want to do a "soft launch"
to get it up to speed first.

In part this is because I think the press is going to be very very
interested: holding it at 'demo' for a bit while we get it worked out
will help to make sure that we don't get slammed in the press for
being too... small or whatever...  We don't expect this to be a big
community right away, obviously it takes several months to build and
grow and get comfortable about exact policies.

--Jimbo