[Wikipedia-l] Wikinews demo launches!

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Nov 15 03:05:46 UTC 2004

http://demo.wikinews.org/

After the successful wikinews vote
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Vote

the board has discussed and decided to move forward with this project!

In order to continue to work towards as broad a community consensus as
possible, we are launching this at http://demo.wikinews.org/ and
invite all interested parties (particularly the "no" voters) to come
and help work on the site.

We will be keeping the site demo-only until November 22 at least, and
at that point evaluating the next step.  (Probably to launch
en.wikinews.org)

The demo has not yet been publicised widely, and my hope is that an
extended demo might convince those who voted against the project to
change their views, or to come and influence the project now in a
direction that overcomes or alleviates the legitimate objections that
have been raised.

This will also give people more of a chance to discuss the proposed
policies before the site goes live.

The one thing I want to personally stress right now: this is at this
point a pure wiki.  We can make of it what we wish.  All of the
proposed policies are just that: proposed policies, and we should
strive to organically create policies that solve actual problems as
they arise, rather than trying to a priori make a lot of rules that
could constrain us in the early days.  This formula worked well for
wikipedia: common sense and flexibility.

Be Bold.

--Jimbo

--
"La nèfle est un fruit." - first words of 50,000th article on fr.wikipedia.org