[Wikipedia-l] Request for new Wikipedia: Friulian

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 13 20:19:45 UTC 2004

A. Decorte wrote:

>Hello, I'm the user (Klenje) who was quoted at the beginning in the request;
>I'm a friulian speaker, I'm active in italian wiki, and there are other friulian
>people like me outside in the net (don't forget that Friulian is spoken by more
>than half million people), therefore i think there is the chance for a decent
>friulian wikipedia to be created; I can show you several site in friulian, and
>if they aren't more, this is due to the policy of italian government which so
>far doesn't promote minorities within Italy. Friulian speakers share this
>problem with sardinian and sicilian ones, but in my opionion wikipedia could
>help changing this situation; the only risk in creating a friulian wiki is the
>possibility of vandalism, but every wiki is started from few users and there
>are many ways to prevent it.

I don't think that there is wide objection to having a Friulian
Wikipedia.  The validity of the language is solid.  My own objection to
the initial proposal was based on the fact that the person doing all the
promoting did not himself know the language.  The initiative,
administration and other work to make such a project a success needs to
come from people who know the language.

Ec