[Wikipedia-l] Video uploaded...

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Nov 12 10:30:05 UTC 2004

Andre Engels wrote:

>My computer when seeing a .ogg-file, automatically assumes it's a
>sound file, and thus I cannot see this movie.

I've seen .ogm as a fairly common exception for "ogg with movie data",
with .ogg being reserved for Ogg Vorbis audio.  Not sure if Xiph has an
opinion on this, but it's becoming the de facto standard naming scheme
on the internets, because most people use Windows, and Windows needs
extensions to be different to associate them with different programs, so
overloading .ogg is problematic as long as ogg audio and ogg video are
handled by different players.

-Mark