[Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia Licensing Question

AV Dictionary Project dictionary at socal.rr.com
Sat Nov 6 20:23:06 UTC 2004

I would like to use text from the English language versions of the Wikipedia/Wiktionary in a derivative work (an English language dictionary of audiovisual industry terms). The GNU Free Documentation License confuses me (and I'm trying to avoid having to hire a lawyer), so I am not sure if I can use the Wikimedia material as intended (since my intended use does not exactly follow one of the examples given). Would the following be acceptable?

* Various articles from the Wikipedia and Wiktionary would be used as the basis of a derivative work (specifically, individual entries in an audiovisual dictionary). This work will also contain original material and other materials licensed from third parties. Wikimedia articles would never be reproduced verbatim in their entirety. Articles based on Wikimedia material would represent a small fraction of the overall work (there are already in excess of 10,000 identified terms without making direct use of any Wikimedia materials).

* Rather than identify each use of Wikimedia material (either accompanying each derived entry or in an exhaustive list at the end, which the proposed format would not accommodate), I would acknowledge the Wikimedia origin of some of the dictionary's material in two ways:

    1. Citations in the bibliography indicating that Wikimedia material was used in the development of the dictionary (the traditional citation for fair use of copyrighted material in an academic work):

    Wikipedia, St. Petersburg, Florida: Wikimedia Foundation, en.wikipedia.org.

    Wiktionary, St. Petersburg, Florida: Wikimedia Foundation, en.wiktionary.org.

    2. Entries in the section of the acknowledgements that identifies copyrighted material incorporated into the dictionary under license from the copyright holder:

Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia

(en.wikipedia.org)

© Wikimedia Foundation, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

GNU Free Documentation License, www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

Wiktionary: a wiki-based Open Content dictionary

(en.wiktionary.org)

© Wikimedia Foundation, en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Copyrights

GNU Free Documentation License, www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

* Those portions of the work licensed from third parties and entries that do not contain Wikimedia material would not fall under the GNU Free Documentation License, but would remain under the ownership of the respective copyright holders.

* If the dictionary is made available online, it would be formatted using standard HTML and the URLs noted above would be presented as live links. Most likely, it will be published as a printed book.

So, can I use Wikimedia material under these conditions? If this is not acceptable, then I will limit myself to traditional fair use applications only.

--Richard