[Wikipedia-l] Locking small wikis

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 02:48:27 UTC 2004

Inactive wikis, with few articles, very sporadic edits, no community
and no users dedicated to editing them, accumulate spam and vandalism
and waste much time of those users who check these small wikis for
such edits.

It is possible for a steward to lock an inactive wiki to prevent it
from being edited whilst not removing any existing content. Locking a
wiki is not permanent and can be undone by a steward at any time.

I would like to see whether there are any objections to this being
done for the inactive Wikipedias, and other projects. I have proposed
a procedure for this at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Inactive_wikis
and would appreciate any comments on it.

To see the message that would be shown when someone tries to edit a
locked wiki, please see
http://ba.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Main_Page&action=edit

Thanks

Angela.