[Wikipedia-l] Requests for new Wikipedias?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 22:48:10 UTC 2004

Hi all

I had gathered that people were getting fed up with requests from me
for new Wikipedias, and now somebody has said it to my face.

It's really a bit weird from where I am though because I have
requested only two new Wikipedias, the first one having been created
and now growing steadily, and the second one (Friulian) with popular
support from speakers of the language that is surer than it was for
Sicilian (people committed for Sicilian, but they weren't Wikipedians
already).

Now, in this message I don't want to ask your opinion about policy or
about whether or not a certain Wikipedia should be created, I just
want to know this:
Are you fed up with the requests from me for new Wikipedias? Why?

I realise I may not be a fluent speaker of either of the languages I
requested, but the way people are talking (somebody referred to me
"flooding" this list with requests) makes it sound like I am selecting
languages at random from a list and requesting them at a rate of 10
per week or something, when in fact I had already asked fluent
speakers if they would be interested, got a commitment, and so far
have only requested two Wikipedias (a few months ago, I asked Brion to
create sc: on IRC [but not this list!], and I recognise now that was
probably a mistake)

Mark