[Wikipedia-l] Re: Day and month names

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 12:40:14 UTC 2004

Petr Kadlec wrote:
> I think I'll throw my $0.02 in. I regard this as quite an annoying
> problem. The facts that
> * every LanguageXx update requires a developer's action
> * developers are generally very busy
> * we have no developer on cs:
> mean that "our" LanguageCs.php file in CVS is really outdated. I try
> to regularly update/correct LanguageCs.php on meta, but this has no
> effect (and [[meta:Requests for languageXX.php update]] is marked as
> deprecated).
>
> So I was thinking -- would it be possible to give a person some kind
> of "language-maintainer", ("limited-developer") privileges? All that
> would be required is write-access to the language subdirectories in
> CVS and the language-specific wiki(es) or even only to the specific
> LanguageXx.php and maybe some kind of possibility to reinitialize the
> MediaWiki namespace (maybe through a little bit tweaked
> rebuildMessages.php).
>
> Any ideas, opinions, ...?

The answer is automation. We need to get rid of language files
altogether except for the few bits of custom coding such as CJK
character splitting. There's no such thing as a limited developer, we
either give them the keys to the house or we don't. We'd have to write a
script to allow upload of language files through a safe interface, but I
think programming time would be better spent moving everything into
special pages and the MediaWiki namespace, as we have been doing.

-- Tim Starling