[Wikipedia-l] Re: Klingon Wikipedia

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at gmail.com
Mon May 31 16:19:37 UTC 2004

My personal experience in dealing with software internationalization
and computing in minority languages, is that SIL can't be trusted,
specially where it draws a line. ISO 639 started with a background in
what US Library of Congress was doing in categorizing books (written
form of languages). On the other hand, SIL started to find about very
local languages (many of which are not written, or share a written
form with a more common language), to help religious evangelists to
find about minor communities and translate the bible to the language.
I believe the written vs spoken distinction is very important here.

As an example, in the case of the Persian language, which I helped
start its wikipedia, we clearly could easily unify the encyclopedias
for what ISO 639 calls "Persian", and what SIL is calling Eastern
Farsi, Western Farsi, and Hazaragi. These three are sometimes
pronounced so differently which makes it impossible for a Tehrani
speaker to understand a native Kabuli, but are so similiar when
written, that we can write a single encyclopedic article that is
grammatically correct. SIL's Persian group, which can be found at
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=1000> contains some
vague cases, but also the clear case of Tajiki which can't be unified
with the Persian wikipedia, since it's written in Cyrillic, not
Arabic. And guess what? ISO 639 already separates Tajiki and gives it
a separate entry and code.