[Wikipedia-l] Klingon Wikipedia

André Müller andrew1985 at gmx.de
Fri May 28 13:11:57 UTC 2004

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

This is my first posting to this mailing list; my name is André and in
the Wikipedias you might either know me as „N-true“ or „André Müller“.

Okay, well... you created the Klingon Wikipedia yesterday. Today you
suspended it again. I don’t quite understand why you did the latter. The
Wikipedia project is to create an encyclopedia in many languages. Also
artificial are included, such as Esperanto, Interlingua and Volapük.
Even dead languages like Latin or Sanskrit (which remains unused
though). There’s even a Wikipedia in Toki Pona, another artificial
language even known to much fewer people than Klingon, for instance. I
don’t see how Toki Pona stayed up and Klingon didn’t? If this is because
you think there’d be too few contribuents, you’re wrong – there’ll be
many enough. If it’s because the Wikipedia might lose credibility when
it adds „silly“ languages – no. The Klingon language community is a
growing one, just like the one of Toki Pona. I don’t think this would
offend anyone out there. Wikipedia might just get some more famous. And
speaking about credibility... I don’t know if some validated languages
are more realistic than Klingon; there’s Plattdüütsch, which is indeed
considered a language, but it doesn’t have a orthographic norm – it’s
written as you speak it, and thus may differ from speaker to speaker.

As you have probably seen, I had already started to work on the Klingon
Wikipedia. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not trying to make you suspend
Plattdüütsch or Toki Pona. It’s just that I and many other Klingon
speakers/learners and future contribuents would like to have our
wIqIpe’DIya back.

- André