[Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia Commons

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Sun May 23 13:54:00 UTC 2004

"Erik Moeller" <erik_moeller at gmx.de> schrieb:
> Jimmy-
> > I just wanted to say that I really strongly support the central
> > ideas put forward by Erik here:
> > http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Commons
>
> Thank you for your support. I would like to again invite all interested
> parties (especially developers, but also writers, photographers etc.) to
> add themselves on the above page, so that we can together move this
> project forward after MediaWiki 1.3 has reached a stable state. As the
> above proposal states, I hope that we can also implement single sign-on in
> one fell swoop with the Commons itself, which would be one important step
> to bring the individual Wikimedia projects closer together.

I am still willing to help and aid in this project. However, as things
look now, the only help I can offer you is to discontinue any plans I
myself have in this direction until you are ready.

One time there was just the English Wikipedia, then other languages
were made. I have the feeling that I'm like someone wanting to set
up another language and getting the answer that it's a good idea, but
that in half a year there will be a new software with language links
and the possibility to have an interface adaptable to languages, and
I just wait for that.

It's not that I don't like your plans. I do. And when the time
comes, I'll join in. For now I'll just count my losses. And wonder
why you might succeed and I do not. Is it because you are a
developer and I'm not? Because your plans are grand and mine
down-to-earth? Because I'm not brazen enough? Anyway, I lost.
Again.

Andre Engels