[Wikipedia-l] Re: I want to start a new language... with the code"eg" please.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 22 00:22:29 UTC 2004

Ralesk Ne'vennoyx wrote:

>> Klingon does have quite a big amount of written stuff already.
>>
>> However, wikipedia is an enciclopedia, so the question is not whether
>> the language can be written, but whether people would actually write
>> enough *encyclopedic content*.
>>
>> A possibility would be to require showing some real activity, eg
>> requiring having some 200 or 400 articles before fully accepting a
>> conlang.
>
> And where would they write all that?  And why don’t we pose such a
> criterium against all those tiny languages too (not being
> anti-languages, here, I hope you see my sarcasm)
>
>> I don't see anything "embarassing" with klingon; but the fact is people
>> that use klingon do it for fun, not to communicate knowledge, much less
>> to build a repository of human knowledge like an encyclopedia.
>
> But some of them want to, that’s exactly why they are or have been
> asking for a wikispace here. (duh!)

My personal attitude to a Klingon language encyclopedia is a benign
"Whatever..."   I don't worry about it enough to care about how many
articles they have.  It does seem sometimes that those who object to
that project best express the Klingon characteristics in their own
personalities.

The argument is often expressed about this, and about a number of other
issues, that dealing with these would bring embarassment on Wikipedia.
Well they might inspire the occasional giggle, but that's still far
removed from embarassment.

Innovators don't worry about embarassment.  If they did nothing would
ever move forward.

Ec